2012/02/06

lose ends...

Finally worked out how to change the admin email ids in the blog!

For some reason I never quite fathomed, Google took the wrong email id for admin of this blog when they took over Blogger. With the result that for quite a while I had to login with a different address than my usual gmail and/or yahoo to administer this blog.

It's been a pain in the you-know-what to manage, with yet one more email account to forg^H^H^H^Hremember!

I finally had some time to waste, wading and searching through Google's tons of unrelated help screens to find out how to change the admin logon email to a new one. Sometimes I wish Google's programmers stopped trying to second guess what I want to see and just showed me what I asked for? No more, no less?...

Turns out the fix is a quite easy multi-step process, after all. So now I hope to have a more streamlined and accessible way to publish here. Which hopefully will be reflected on more postings from now onwards.

I'll also be posting more on trivia and day to day IT things rather than just databases and Oracle. It's a much better way to keep this blog active. And let's face it: Oracle databases are not such a big single part of my professional life anymore.

With my time being shared between Oracle, MSSQL, DB2, Data Management and Integration, backups and archival, SAN management and architecture and all sorts of other Data Centre activities, I find I have little spare time to dedicate to the latest watchamacallit CBO/trace/weirdo feature that no one in his right mind will ever bother with, other than in the academic sense! :-)

Don't get me wrong: academic is good! What I don't have time for is the last squiggly bit of analisys that it often demands.

Others can - and should! - do that. I have a Data Centre to help run - hopefully reliably and with good performance - and a bunch of Data Management and DW oriented folks that demand my help. They demand most of my time.

Speaking of which...

We are about to embark in another year of Sydney Oracle Meetup activites. It looks like it's gonna be an interesting one, we've got some really cool ideas for 2012.

And with the NSW Oracle User's Group finally showing a little bit of interest in our activities instead of the usual "who are they?" attitude (that serves no purpose whatsoever), things might even become a lot more interesting for everyone - their membership included. We shall see...


Anyways: catchyalata folks, or likely sooner!

6 Comments:

Blogger sydoracle said...

Yeah, well I'm juggling my 'plain' Google account and my Google Apps domain account, partly because Google Plus seem to have forgotten their promise of some widget to merge accounts.

Speaking of which, there's a lot of photography peeps on Google Plus. They are organising a second photo walk next month, I think round Cockatoo Island.

Monday, February 06, 2012 8:47:00 pm  
Blogger obakesan said...

who cares about permissions?

take the suzi there and if it breaks ... well clearly it needed replacing anyway

Monday, February 06, 2012 8:51:00 pm  
Blogger Noons said...

LOL!
Wish it was that easy!
You see, this is how the "greenie" movement works in Australia:

1- Place was paraded in the newspapers by "greenies" as "being raped by irresponsible 4wdrivers".

2- NSW Labour government, in typical knee-jerk frenzy reaction, closed all access to the beach.

3- Upon which Mooney Colliery, the original owner of the land adjoining the beach, opened a coal mine tailings dump right on the beach and proceeded to transform it into an ecological disaster, far worse than anything 4wds could ever have done to the place.

4- Never a peep heard ever again from the "greenies".

And they wonder why their credibility on ANYTHING is in tatters?

Tuesday, February 07, 2012 7:11:00 am  
Blogger Joel Garry said...

Yeah, with some trepidation I reactivated my gmail account because I got an android phone that requires it. They really have improved how their SSO works, though I wish the gmail wouldn't always take priority over everything else, including changing the other login passwords. Sigh. But it did have some strange side-effects, including making the bogus email I've been using for a decade actually work. Very strange that I can use a domain that I'm not part of to send and receive mail... still having odd effects on the phone. Syncing locked up for the first day then all mysteriously started working. The train has wifi so I don't have to use up data cell time.

word: abnones
word: judiale

Tuesday, February 07, 2012 12:05:00 pm  
Blogger Noons said...

Your train has wifi???
Man! Over here, we're lucky when the carrier pigeons are alive...

Wednesday, February 08, 2012 7:44:00 am  
Blogger Joel Garry said...

It's variable. The Amtrak (big intercity trains) has some low speed wifi, while the Metrolinks (commuters) have none (though you would be misled if you googled, and it is entertaining to see the dozens picked up as you go by). Train service has been unusually bad with Amtrak lately, partly due to track construction, partly due to old equipment breaking down, partly due to Darwin-bait on the tracks - two hits in the last 15 hours in San Diego county alone, one was my usual morning train nailing someone from behind as it left the originating station, last night drunks drove on tracks, got stuck, they bailed, freight train hit car.

Friend of the family breeds Roller pigeons, it's quite a sight to see the flock in the air.


word: quaning
word: sceli

Thursday, February 09, 2012 10:33:00 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home