2007/02/06

just a short note

By sheer accident found this.

Of course, those of you with a little bit more of a clue than silly old me will recognize Jonathan straight away, from O'Reilly books.

That article on domains is absolutely brilliant: may I recommend a second, third and fourth reading and a little bit of poking around at the concepts explained there?

Long overdue someone starts exploring the Oracle TYPE functionality for its tremendous potential in improving vanilla SQL.


Wish I had the time to pursue it myself...









A while ago in Doug's blog I mentioned bbq sardines with pimento salad as a typical dish from the place where I come from. This is what it looks like:



Yum!

And recently I found this image among my old stuff:




Had forgotten how flexible the whiskers are on these little fellas. If you ever get a chance of scuba diving with them, do it! Some of them will come right up to your face and give you a brush with the whiskers: I think they must use them like cats do, as an extension to their tactile sense.


catchyalata, folks!

5 Comments:

Anonymous Andy C said...

I really liked Jonathan Gennick's article about SQL*Loader and his discipline in writing content on the first day of a month.

I presume this is a new blog and his last article wasn't really authored more than 2 years ago.

PS. Hmm. Running on Drupal. Looks good. Now there's a thought...

Tuesday, February 06, 2007 5:20:00 pm  
Blogger APC said...

Actually, Jonathan is ex of O'Reilly books: he's now with Apress.

I think this is an old blog. I remember receiving some of this stuff in an e-mail newsletter a few years back. Still, it is a good read.

Cheers, APC

Tuesday, February 06, 2007 7:10:00 pm  
Blogger Noons said...

that's right, this is not new material. I wasn't aware he had put it in a site as well as the newsletters.

sincerely hope he keeps this site going as it is very interesting and definitely original content.

to the best of my knowledge no one has yet addressed the use of inbuilt types in the context of SQL predicates as well as this article has. I wonder what effect this would have on CBO?

he's now joined Apress? must have been recently, I do remember receiving email from his O'Reilly address until at least mid last year.

Wednesday, February 07, 2007 12:12:00 am  
Anonymous David Aldridge said...

Hmmm, that is interesting.

With careful naming conventions some of the risks of incorrect joins can be tackled with the use of the NATURAL JOIN syntax, but that doesn't actually prevent people from getting it wrong by using other methods, and it also doesn't permit variations in join methods (like looking up inventory by either the storage location or the ownership location depending on purpose, for example).

Wednesday, February 07, 2007 3:43:00 am  
Anonymous Jonathan Gennick said...

Wow. Nuno, that's high praise indeed. I'm glad that you like the article.

Andy, to answer your question, yes, I'm afraid the article is about two years old. My write-one-article-per-month experiment lasted maybe a year and a half, and then it fell victim to job stress. I've had a difficult time of things these past couple of years, and I've had to pull back from writing, and from maintaining my website.

As for my website, I decided awhile back to try running Drupal rather than struggling to write my own HTML. So far, so good, and I've been slowly reloading my content.

Wednesday, February 07, 2007 5:22:00 am  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home